Sunday 21 April 2013

Spring in our step: an update plus a new housemate

I like how the change in season from Winter to Spring has such a cleansing effect on me. I don't know whether it's down to the blossoming of the trees or if it's simply that with a little sun on our backs we feel ready to come out of hibernation and do things!


We finally have a sofa after 3 months of wishing and waiting! We are as happy about it as our poor guests are! Note the original 1950's Danish coffee table; a steal at £30!


We've been in the house for 3 whole months and we've seen rain, snow and finally sunshine. An update is well overdue as well as the introduction of our new house mate.



May I introduce you to Maebe; our 7 month old kitten who has been living with us for about a Month now. This photo is deceptive really as her cat tree is her domain where she finally chills out a little and sits still.

In actual fact this petite ball of fluff loves nothing more than climbing the walls, curtains, guests and most recently door handles in order to make herself noticed.

We literally adore her and in the absence of children recount boring tales of her most recent adventures much to the dismay of our friends.





The house is slowly starting to fill with furniture, books and a few interesting finds but there's a long way to go. It's taken a while to find a style we both agree on but "Scandinavian" meets "city living" seems to fit and it's a compromise that seems to be working.
As a book hoarder and lover of colour blocking I can't resist organising our novels by their hue. We've just started to merge our reading collection and gather the boxes of books from my Mum's house so it's a work in progress but I love how it brightens the white canvas in our living room although any new additions mean shifting everything to a new shelf; nightmare! *Please ignore the wonky handles, only noticed them in the photo and they have been added to the mister's long list of job!

I've collected prints from Paris all my life as an avid visitor and complete obsessive fancophile so these is just a selection of approximately 25. I do love them but I'm still not sure of where they best fit in the house. They may work better in the bedrooms upstairs due to their racy nature but I don't know if that's too obvious. 

My first art purchase for the house and one of the influences for our living room; Fantasies iii by Anna Magnowska. I bought this from Urban Outfitters but I think it's still available from East End Prints (the best website for contemporary and affordable prints). The subject matter could be described as a little explicit for the living room but thankfully no one has noticed or if they have they are far too polite to say.

There are so many more things to do but I feel like we've made a nice little start. We're finding our feet as well as our style and I've spent a lot of time pouring over apps like Houzz and blogs by brilliant writers with a better eye for design and creativity including Artemis from Junkaholique and Zoe from Conversation Pieces. Click to read their blogs because they provide you (as they do me) a brilliant source of reference and inspiration.

For now it is back to our perfect lazy Sunday afternoon of tea, hot cross buns (we stocked up!) and to finish "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain (me) and the Bahrain GP and a mug of coffee (Jim and the kitten).



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment - the 'cry for help' thing made me laugh :)

    really like your blog so will be adding you to my reading list. Any person that has a cat chilling out on their first post is my kind of person! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled that you've left our first comment so thank you!

    I'm going to add you too - your blog is so beautiful I will be an avid reader from here on in! X

    ReplyDelete