Thursday 25 April 2013

What's in a name? The "name your blog" dilemma




What IS in a name? Take mine for example (Justine in case you didn't know). As a child I absolutely hated it. I hated that people called me "Justin" - this was pre-Timberlake so there was no excuse. I hate that when said with my surname it created a whole nother word which people delighted in pointing out to me! ("No, I haven't hear that one before because I never have to say my own name do I!?).

This post is simply to try to explain the rationale behind "Haus sweet Haus". It's so hard to be original, inventive and witty when all the obvious ideas have been taken (what do you mean we can't have "Home Sweet Home"?) so the next best thing was to look at what we need E.g something memorable and add what the blog is about.

Between the two of us there are so many nationalities, languages, favourite countries and design ideas that mashing them together seemed the best thing to do. Using a little German is not an attempt to be "show-offy" (and very much hope it doesn't come across that way) it's because we have influences coming at us from all directions and this blog is a chance to put them on paper and share ideas or at least contain the VERY silly ones.

Below I've created a very amateur equation that summarises how we got to our name and just where the hell these ideas are stemming from (our family trees a far more complicated; this was a doddle in comparison!).

This
My Dad was born in India; Kolkata to be exact. My family are Anglo-Indian.

+

Jim's family live in Sydney, Australia. He'd like to live there too one day.
+

Mon coeur est en France notamment en Paris et parle Français - I nearly moved there once and still would! 

+

James ist in Deutschland zu Hause und spricht ein wenig Deutsch. Meine Mama ist fließend und wir haben deutsche und österreichische Freunde.

X

The Killing, Borgen and The Bridge have consumed our lives and were the catalyst for our love for Scandinavian (and knitwear) design. Tag. 

+
Places we've been: France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia, America, Mexico, Greece, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Netherlands, Australia, India, Slovenia, Belgium, Spain, Korea...


=

Haus Sweet Haus

x

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Adele! It's so hard deciding on one!! Have a great sunny weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This explanation was wunderbar!! : ) my, there is so much international here i'm overwhelmed and so in awe !! it isn't show offy at all! I'm originally from the UK, but have lived in Paris the last 4 years with my German-French/Tunisian boyfriend and we've travelled to some pretty far and distant places together so put your hands up for travelling and being internation : )
    Lou xx

    ReplyDelete